Tuesday 15 May 2018

Previous YIBs endorse the benefits of placements


Current 2nd year YIBs have until July 31st to secure a placement position for 2018/19. For any student questionning why they should continue in their search for a placement position they need only look at testimonials from current Royal Holloway students out on placement or those who have completed their Year in Business. The vast majority of Royal Holloway Management students are overwhelmingly positive about the placement year and the benefits it offers them. You only need to read the quotes below to get a picture...

Quotes from Royal Holloway YIBs about their placement years.


> Mae Wang is studying BSc Management with International Business and doing a Project Management placement with NetApp and says “Overall, the role of a Project Manager is intense and requires a high level of time management and organisational skills but at the same time, you will also learn very quickly and gain a lot of key transferable skills with the opportunity to build a long list of credible contacts both internally and externally. NetApp has been fantastic in terms of developing their interns, they are currently funding my Prince2 qualification for professional Project Managers.”


> Jamie Leigh Platt who is studying for BSc Management with Marketing (Year in Business) and is currently doing a 12 month placement with Avis Budget as a Global Travel and Partnerships Coordinator.
“Since joining the Avis Budget Group in June for my placement, there hasn’t been a day I haven’t learned something new. From creating websites to flying to Barcelona for a call centre incentive, I’ve been given so many opportunities and been able to see first hand how a global business actually works.”




> Emily Taylor is studying BSc Management with Marketing (Year in Business) and did a Mid Market Sales Placement with Microsoft. While working on placement she said “I honestly love my placement, largely because of the amount of responsibility I'm given and genuine fun I'm having! It was really nerve-wracking initially applying to such a big company, but knowing the level of opportunities you can gain, I would encourage anybody to apply to do a Year in Business”


> Amy Taylor studies BSc Management with HR (Year in Business) and did a Management trainee placement with Enterprise Rent a Car. She said “The best thing about a placement year is the real world experience you receive. I have not only put the theory I learnt at University into practice but have learnt so much more. I am going back to University for my final year having progressed my skills as a manager and already ready for graduate life”.



> Jordan Maxwell is studying BSc Management with International Business (Year in Business ) and did a Sales and Business Development placement with VMWare and says “my perception of what I thought a YIB would be is actually worlds apart to the reality. My skills in IT have grown but also in networking, presenting, event planning, social media, marketing, sales, time-management, and the list goes on. You can review a job description online but it only paints part of a picture – there is a lot more to it than just coffee runs!”



> Sarah Hunt Graduated with a first in BSc Management with HR (Year in Business) and did a placement with GSK as an Executive Recruitment placement. She said “ My placement year was a vital experience that I enjoyed thoroughly. Without it I would not have been able to secure a position at Pepsi, who value the experience and transferable skills I learnt on placement”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.